The Thai cabinet approved a “Special Tourist Visa” (STV) scheme this week in principle.
- 14 day quarantine at a certified alternative state quarantine (ASQ) hotel or villa.
- A minimum 90 days length of stay, 2 extensions of 90-days are possible.
- Fit to fly medical certificate.
- Proof of medical insurance covering at least USD 100k
- Pass a criminal record check with the Royal Thai Police
- They are expecting 1-3 chartered flights to land in Thailand/week, estimate 1,200 longstay tourists per month.
- Yes, this is a ridiculous plan given that countries such as Singapore now only require 7 day quarantine, in Sweden, Germany, Austria etc etc you can fly there from Thailand with a negative c-19 test and be allowed to roam around freely without being in quarantine.
- Yes, the impact is going to absolutely minimal, given the potential numbers of visitors.
- But it’s a start, and its positive that at the very least the ball is rolling and that the positive momentum will (hopefully) continue.